To show children how the surface tension works
This activity shows children how the surface tension works. When children drop a safety pin into the water, the pin sinks to the bottom, but when they use tissue paper to help gently place the pin on the water surface, the pin floats. Let the children wonder.
What you’ll need
- Chanafavors Free Printables www.chanafavors.com (Link in Bio)
- Food Coloring / Water
- Clear Glass Bowls
How to Set Up
- Put water in a glass.
How to play
- Invite your child to put a safety pin into the water. Notice how it sinks to the bottom.
- Place a safety pin on a tissue paper and gently place it on the surface of the water.
- Use a toothpick to gently push the tissue paper downwards. Notice that the safety pin is floating.
- Try using plain water first. Adding a mixture to water, such as soap, may decrease the surface tension of the water causing the safety pin to sink.
Adult supervision is required for any activity presented by CHANA and Chanafavors.